The French drain allows to evacuate the water that accumulates around a building. It is a technical work that prevents water and moisture infiltration into the walls that prove catastrophic for a house or a condominium complex.
If the drain is clogged or clogged, there will be moisture rises or other sealing problems. The replacement or repair of the drainage system is then essential. It is a technique that requires beyond know-how, experience, analytical skills and adapted equipment (heavy construction machinery).
Before any work, the French drain expert will inspect the situation in order to make an accurate diagnosis of the condition: cracks, capillary rises, moving foundation, moldy plaster, etc. The damage is sometimes irreversible. If the problem is taken in time, repairs on the basis of the frame are possible.
- Why does the drain become clogged?
- What are the first warning signs?
- What are the solutions and who to contact?
If you want to have more information from a French drain specialist, here is what we, VOPAA, 25 years of experience in the specialty of French drains in Gatineau think…
Blocked French drain, how and why?
There are several reasons why a building’s drainage system can become clogged.
- Normal degradation of the drain over time:Impurities such as sand, soil, vegetation… can clog the drain: the water stagnates and no longer flows.
- A construction defect:A poorly laid or poorly connected drain does not perform its function of water flow.
- A non-existent or insufficient slope:Water does not flow enough
- The establishment of trees near the building: The roots of the trees branch out and can clog part of the drain.
- Soil type:Water-rich soil (clay soil) is unfavorable to the operation of a drain
- Lack of maintenance of the drainage system: A regular professional diagnosis is recommended for the maintenance of the drain.
- Frosts during the cold season:Ice and frost can set in and deteriorate the drain
To avoid obstruction of the drain and extend its service life, it is recommended to do regular inspections of the pipes and periodic cleaning to a qualified professional.
Clogged foundation drain: the first warning signs
- Water infiltration and moisture rise in walls
- Obstruction of piping: overflow of toilets and sinks
- Bad odors due to sewer backup
- Accumulation of moisture on the foundation
- Flooded basement or appearance of mold on walls and floor
- Cracks and cracks
- Visible degradation of the base of the building
Deficient French drain: the solutions
Unclogging a French drain requires the use of specialized construction equipment. It is sometimes possible to unclog a drain using a water pressure jet. This technique is also used to thaw a drain that has been deteriorated during the cold winter season.
If the high-pressure jet is not enough, a partial repair of the drainage system may be considered when a simple part is obstructed.
Finally, it will be necessary to proceed with the complete replacement of the drain. Major excavation work is then necessary.
Who to contact to unclog a foundation drain?
Contacting an experienced company that has several years of experience in the building industry is the only solution for a job well done and sustainable.
Professionals in The installation of French drains ensure:
- Inspection and accurate diagnosis
- An installation of the drain in the standards
- Rehabilitation of the drainage system
- Partial repair when possible
What to know
French drain installation professionals comply with the standards and regulations of the construction code of Quebec and your municipality.
Free submission and no surprises.
A foundation laying specialist diagnoses the drainage system and proposes adapted solutions:
- Perform a high-pressure cleaning
- Use an electric sewer file
- Install a drain gutter to a collector
- Gravity or mechanical pumping evacuation system
Do not hesitate to ask for advice from a foundation professional near you.